Canape – Beetroot Goat – Croydon Covenant Pinotage 2017
Mise en Place
- Beetroot Chevre Panna Cotta
- Pickled Beetroot Puree
- Balsamic Pearls
- Cream Cheese Piping
- Chive Garnish
Beetroot Chevre Panna Cotta
6.5g Gelatine, Leaves
100ml Cream Cheese
350ml Juice, Beetroot
2 g Agar Agar
- Rehydrate gelatine in cold water.
- Heat cream, Cream Cheese and milk together.
- Remove cream mixture and place in blender.
- Turn on blender and add gelatine leaves.
- Whilst blender is running add purified beetroot.
- Pass through a chinoise and adjust seasoning.
- Set in a lined SK tray.
- Cut into cubes and serve on top of a cake fork.
Pickled Beetroot Puree
200ml Vinegar, Red Wine
100ml Sugar, Granulated
1ea Spice, Star aniseeds
5ml Spice, Fennel Seeds
5ml Spice, Coriander Seeds
2ea Spice, Bay Leaf
2ea Spice, Juniper Berry
2kg Beetroot, Cooked Cut Equal Size
- Prepare the pickling liquid first.
- Add all the ingredients and bring to the boil, remove from the heat and leave to cool down.
- Strain all the aromatic.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the cut cooked beets.
- Cook until the liquid is reduced.
- Transfer to thermo mix and blend to a fine puree.
- Add the xanthan.
110g Vinegar, Balsamic
2g Agar, Agar
250ml Oil, Vegetable Left in Freezer Overnight
- Place the balsamic vinegar in a saucepot and dissolve the agar and sugar.
- Bring the balsamic vinegar, agar and sugar to the boil whisk continuously.
- Use a tall glass so there is more time for balsamic vinegar droplets to get cold and gel before.
- Remove from the heat and skim to eliminate any impurities.
- Wait a few minutes until the temperature drops to 50°C – 55°C.
- If the liquid is too hot, the droplets may not cool down enough and therefore not gel completely before reaching the bottom of the glass resulting in deformed pearls.
- The syringe needs to be a few cm above the oil level.
- Wait a few minutes before removing the pearls from the oil with a slotted spoon.
- Rinse with cold water and store in a sealed container.
Cream Cheese Piping
150g Cream Cheese
- Dilute the cream cheese with the cream to ease with piping.
- Mix well and place in a piping bag.
- One dot per Canape.
50g Herbs, Chives
- Cut the chives 15 mm Oblique.
- Place on top of the cream cheese piping.